Conception brings lots of happiness to you and your family. Involuntary abortion or miscarriage might take away your bundle of joy. If this happens then you should avoid getting depressed as you can always plan for baby again.
Is It Easy To Get Pregnant After an Abortion?
Abortion does not affect fertility in woman and ovulation process continues after. This means getting pregnant after an abortion is much possible. Abortion when done in an improper manner then may develop complications such as trauma to bladder and intestines and lead to long term damage of reproductive system. These complications mainly arise if surgeon is unskilled or lacks necessary tools to carry out the procedure.
How Soon After an Abortion Can I Get Pregnant?
Are you thinking that When can I conceive after abortion?”We will tell you. Ovulation is natural phenomenon. As soon as normal cycle of ovulation resumes after abortion you have chance of conceiving again. If you have not used any birth control measures then you can get pregnant within 7-10 days post abortion and even if you are still bleeding then its not recommended as body needs to heal itself.
Its advisable to wait for 3 months before you try baby again. To ensure safety and wellbeing for both mother and child. Your body must also need time to recover from trauma. Your doctor will also need time to recover from trauma. Your doctor must recommend few investigations and pre-natal care to rule out reoccurrence of miscarriage.
If you had a surgical abortion or a D&C (Dilation and Curettage) procedure, your gyneacologist will advise you to wait for at a month to allow the uterus to repair itself. If your abortion is said to be in the second or third trimester, the doctor might recommend to wait longer, so that the body is well rested. You might also be prescribed supplements such as folic acid to reduce the chances of neural tube defects in the next pregnancy. If there were no medical complications, then pregnancy after abortion is totally safe.
Can an Abortion Cause Infertility?
Having a miscarriage takes a toll on your emotional and physical well being. If abortion is said to be legally performed by skilled surgeon then you must not have any issue conceiving that you are ready for pregnancy. The chances of conceiving second time decreases, if termination done illegally or by untrained doctors, midwives or in unclean conditions. There must be complications such as scarring, infections, scarring or incomplete abortion resulting in major health risks to woman.
Infertility problems are caused in case of:
- An incomplete termination where pregnancy has ended but remnants of foetus have not removed completely thus increasing risk of infections, scarring and complications.
- In some cases, if D&C procedure not done correctly and with care and chances of damage to uterus while cleaning are high
- Pelvic Inflammatory disease (PID) is an infection which can set in post abortion. If not treated on time then it cause blockage around or inside fallopian tube and enhance risk on ectopic pregnancy.
- There must be scarring inside uterus or on apex of your cervix. If you miss your periods or have light periods post procedure then it could be due to scarring. Your doctor might test for scarring through hysteroscopy, procedure whereby tiny camera is passed through cervix to uterus to verify such signs. Doctor might repair the scarred tissues simultaneously. Abnormal uterus scarring might be caused by scraping of uterus during D & C procedure. In case of extensive scarring which might lead to infertility its termed as ‘Asherman’s syndrome’.
- If you had history of multiple abortions then might have a cervical weakness which could be due to dilation of cervix done during procedure. This might be treated by few stitches to keep cervix closed.
Does a Past Abortion Make It Difficult to Conceive?
There isn’t proper evidence to prove abortion or repeat abortions interfere with future pregnancy. If you plan to get pregnant and your uterus is ready to conceive then there are nothing to be worried about.
Some couples choose to abort if they are not prepared to start family or due to medical reasons. Pregnancy post abortion might require planning and precautions. Couples often worried whether an abortion can affect chances of getting pregnant.
Because of advancement in medical sciences, abortion is now safe procedure. When performed under proper medical regulation by an expert but doesn’t affect future fertility. If abortion has been illegally or incorrectly performed by an inexperienced doctor then there are chances of infection or damage to reproductive organs such as fallopian tubes, ovaries or uterus lining.
- Abortion involves dilation of the cervix; if its done repeatedly then it can weaken the cervix and lead to premature dilation. Besides, multiple D&C procedures will lead to scarring inside the uterus or at the top of the cervix.
What Are the Risk Factors?
Abortion, if handled professionally then does not carry any risk factor and should allow a woman to have a normal second pregnancy. Sometimes which may pose pregnancy problems after abortion. These can be handled by taking proper care and precautionary measures.
Am I At More Risk If I’ve Had More Than One Abortion?
Women who have had more than one abortion are at an increased risk of infection after the procedure. In the worst cases, the fallopian tubes get blocked, making natural conception impossible.
Getting Pregnant After an Abortion
Here are some tips for safe pregnancy after abortion:
- Speak to doctor to ensure safe pregnancy post abortion.
- Maintain healthy lifestyle and quit smoking, drinking and decrease caffeine intake, An optimal level fitness lead to healthy pregnancy.
- An active sex life will increase your chances of pregnancy.
- Keep track of ovulation and have frequent sex during this period. You can buy ovulation kit or download an ovulation tracker app on your smartphone.
- Post intercourse, elevate feet and hips by placing pillow under bottom and help sperm reach eggs.